Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Shot of Adrenaline?

A good friend of mine, Evan Adams, called me up a few weeks ago and asked if I would be interested in doing some slide work on a song he was recording for his soon-to-be-released EP. This kinda struck me funny, first that I would get a call from someone wanting ME to do SLIDE work on a song, second because Evan is a country artist. Now, country isn't new territory to me–I did that Tim Murphy show that one time in 2009–but I am not that proficient in the genrĂ©, something I guess I need to work on, but that's a different story altogether. The oddest part was someone asking me to do slide work for them. My slide-playing style is more a mish-mash of what NOT to do when playing with a slide.

As I said, Evan is a young country artist. I've been watching him progress and grow as a songwriter and performer for the last few years, ever since he burst onto the scene in Tupelo (say that with a straight face), and he's turned into quite the songwriter, as I found out today. Evan's country, and by country, I mean cuuuntry! He's definitely the real deal. And he can sing the cunt out of country music, too. I actually ended up working with him on two songs, both of which will be on the new EP. If you want to know which two I'm on, you'll have to buy the EP and read the liner notes. 

The session today was booked at Adrenaline Audio Studio (YouTube Channel), my second session at this studio. I wish I had pictures of this place, but these guys won't allow pictures of the outside grounds. Something about blowing their camouflage, don't ask me! Let's just say, when you pull up (or down, depending on your point of view) to the studio, you have no idea where the studio is. The studio is actually in the top of a horse barn, and it's got the coolest vibe of any studio I've been in (and I've been in a few). It's out in the middle of Nowhere, MS, so there are no distractions, unless you bring the distractions with you. Hell, there's not even cellphone service inside the studio. Brilliant design.

Robbie Ross was our Producer/Engineer for the day and was a pleasure to work with. He led me along right where he wanted/needed me to go while allowing me to keep myself in what I did (damn guitarists!). He took his time and we got a few really good takes to work with. 

All-in-all, it's been a great day playing music. I took a day and stepped outside of my little Blues Box and had fun with it. Who knows, maybe it'll even sound like I knew what I was doing. Of course, you know me, so you know me better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment