Thursday, October 3, 2013

What the HELL is going on?

I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent person, one who, when presented with a problem, can work through it to find a fitting solution. I mean, if I have a flat tire, then I get off my @$$ and change it. Or, if I end up with way too much week left at the end of my money, then I get out and work (more) to survive. Self preservation is more than just instinct, it's a way of life, which is why I find this whole government shutdown thing disturbing. With that, I would like to state that two things I (normally) don't discuss with friends or strangers is religion and politics, but I just can't keep quiet on this one. Our whole system is broken, and no one seems to want to fix it, they all just want to point fingers and and play the Blame Game, so I've decided to let my thoughts be made public, for better or worse.

Republicans want to blame the Democrats for the problems, while the Democrats want to blame the Republicans. And inside these two parties, you have the zealots and heretics like the Tea (Bagger) Party or the Left Wing Extremists who's only function is to keep things stirred up. Herein (in my not-so-humble opinion) lies the majority of the problem; no one will own up to their own mistakes, especially in DC. For the record, I am not a Republican (I don't have any money to hoard), nor am I a Democrat (I'm not that full of myself). If I had to choose allegiances, I tend to side more with the Green Party (a joke), or, at the least, consider myself a Libertarian (another joke). I feel that the good Lord gave us all a brain and the ability to use it, so I tend to shy away from anyone who wants to "protect me from myself." Of course, in their eyes, if you're not Republican, then you're Democrat (or vice versa) and all they seem to want to do is argue and point even more fingers (when you're doing the pointing, no one's probably looking at you, right?), which brings me to my first point: why are there only two (official) parties? When you start with only two sides, you've divided the entire country from the get-go, before the issues have even been laid out. Kind of a stupid thing to do, if you ask me.

Second, we need to reinstate Term Limits. This country's government was not set up for career politicians, so why do we let them get away with it? The only politician you can trust is a First Termer anyway, and even then, you only have about two months (max) that they can be trusted. After that, they've already learned (from the ones that have been in office for a million forevers) how to game the system and make as much money as possible. Limit them to two terms, and knock their pay back to something a little more realistic, say $30,000 a year. If they need more than that to survive (I have survived for 41 years on way less than that), then they should get a real job and quit living off of us. And if they try to vote themselves a pay raise (which is usually their first order of business every session), they are immediately relieved of office and a special election called to replace them. I don't get to decide when (or even if) I get a raise, and I don't believe they should have that power, either.

Third, we need to outlaw lobbying and special interest groups. They serve no (usable) function and are only there to help the rich get richer, while us poor people keep killing ourselves just to make ends meet. Our lawmakers are already being paid (much more than they are worth, I might add) to do what little work they actually do, and some corporation giving them even more money to write some BS law to give them more of a tax break (or to turn a blind eye to some sketchy scheme they've cooked up to make even more money off the backs of hard working Americans) does nothing but create more corruption. I'm all for Capitalism, but let's keep it as fair as possible: this is the "Land of Opportunity" isn't it?

I believe that we should all take a good look in the mirror (this means you, too, all you lawmakers and career politicians on the local, state, and national level) and realize that this is more important that what any one person wants. It's supposed to be government of the people, by the people, and for the people. I realize that I have probably stepped on a lot of toes with this (who really wants to hear the political thoughts of a bluesman), so, in closing, I would like to offer this disclaimer: This post is for entertainment purposes only! The thoughts and views expressed in this post do not represent those of the Kevin Waide Project, and therefore, can only be blamed on my need for medication. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment