Sunday, June 23, 2013

Jason Carter, In His Own Words

Jason Carter (Photo: Ron Dierkes)
I want to formally introduce you to the other members of the Kevin Waide Project. I've asked the guys the same 3 questions and will post all of the answers in the coming days. The questions asked were:

1. What motivated you to play music, and, more specifically, the blues.
2. How old were you when you started playing music.
3. Who were your biggest influences.

This post will be focusing on Jason Carter, vocalist and rhythm, lead, and slide guitarist. Jason has been slangin' the blues for the Project since March, 2010. The last 3 years have given me the opportunity to learn slide guitar from one of the most talented players in the area, and I'm happy to bring you the story of Jason Carter, in his own words.


I've always wanted to play slide guitar. It came natural to me. One of the first instance of music was Austin City Limits and I saw a guy playing with a slide. I think it was Ry Cooder. It looked easy.

My family played acoustic and electric guitar, fiddle, mandolin, and piano. I can remember as early as 5 years old the family jams on old Hank Williams and Bill Monroe tunes, as well as several others. I started playing Trumpet by the 5th grade (10 years old) and was the soloist until I stopped "marching band" in 8th grade.

I picked up guitar around 16 and my dad showed me E, A and B bump rhythm and I took it from there. I grew up listening to all kinds of music but looking back, everything I listened to from Hank Jr. to Creedence was steeped in the blues. I was buying hair band and classic rock tapes before I was 10 and the liner notes talked about their influences. I traced them back and found Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Howling Wolf, Son House, John Lee Hooker...etc. I started buying their tapes and loved the fact that they all came from Mississippi. No wonder it all made sense...I grew up around it.

By the time I was learning, Hwy 61 was coming on MPB 89.5 FM, and I was getting a huge dose of blues on Saturday nights when driving around town (when people could afford gas).

By the time I learned to switch chords and sing, I was learning Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters and Allman Brothers records. I just took it from there and added in country and funk to go with it. Playing in several different bands over the past 10 years has helped me out the most though.

No comments:

Post a Comment